Italian Egg Cookies
In this #LkldTVcooks video, Cheryl Cullivan, owner of The Desserterie in Lakeland, generously shares her Grandmother’s famous recipe for Italian egg cookies. Use this professional baker’s family recipe to create delicious memories of your own.
Italian Christmas Cookies
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup whole milk ricotta cheese (from 15 oz container)
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
In small bowl, stir flour, baking powder and salt.
2. In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, softened butter, ricotta cheese and lemon peel with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until fluffy; scrape side of bowl.
3. Beat in eggs, one at a time, just until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
On low speed, beat flour mixture into sugar mixture until well blended.
4. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Using floured fingers, shape dough into 54 one inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
4. Bake 9-11 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
Gel food coloring of choice
1. In small bowl, beat powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice with spoon until smooth and spreadable. If frosting is to stiff to spread, add additional lemon juice, 1 teaspoon at a time.
2. Tint with food color.
3. Using knife, spread 1/2 teaspoon on top of each cooled cookie; immediately top with sprinkles.
4. Let stand about 30 minutes or until frosting is set. Store covered in airtight container at room temperature.